Dating in lincolnshire

Louth railway station was a major intermediate station on the East Lincolnshire Railway which ran from Boston railway station to Grimsby Town railway station from 1848 and was also served by rail motor services.Louth was also served by the Mablethorpe Loop Line as the terminus of the line which ran to nearby villages and towns of Mablethorpe, Sutton-on-Sea, Grimoldby, Saltfleetby, Theddlethorpe, Mumby and Willoughby.When all those dwelling there had been put to sleep by a cunning ruse, a trusty servant took him out of the ground, wrapped him in fine line cloth, and with all his fellows rejoicing brought him to the monastery of Thorney and re-interred him.

At some point, following his death, a shrine venerating him was established at Louth.Æthelwold, the Bishop of Winchester from 963 to 984, was actively seeking relics for his newly rebuilt Thorney Abbey in Cambridgeshire and sent his monks to Louth to raid Herefrith's shrine....heard of the merits of the blessed Herefrid bishop of Lincoln resting in Louth a chief town of the same church.A small booklet about this rare survival is available from the church gift shop.Much of the town centre is lined with brick buildings from the 17th and 18th centuries.It also confirms it as one of the very finest medieval steeples in the country Though shorter than both Norwich Cathedral 315 feet (96 m), and Salisbury Cathedral 404 feet (123 m), in terms of spire height it is the tallest medieval parish church in the United Kingdom.

The building of the spire commenced in 1501 and was finally completed in 1515. The Louth Cross is on display within the church and a small booklet is available from the gift shop.The station was also the start and terminus on the Louth to Bardney Line which opened in 1876 but closed in 1951 to passengers and to freight traffic in 1960.The station closed to passengers in 1970 and so did the Mablethorpe Loop Line and the section from Boston to Louth of the East Lincolnshire Railway although the section to Grimsby remained in use for freight traffic until 1980 when it also closed and was removed.The site of Louth station, goods yard and the former kilns.Last trains here were in 1980 before complete closure.This area was formed from a glacial overspill channel in the last glacial period.