In 1837 the name changed to the "The Deal History Society say this pub existed in 1878 but there's no other information apart from limited records up to 1899.
For residents of Upper Walmer where there are only two remaining local hostelries, the number that used to serve their locality could come as something of a surprise.
We've selected some of Walmer's more interesting pubs and their histories, but for even more information please see Dover Kent Archives at Gladstone Road, Walmer No longer standing and replaced by terraced houses at 97-105 Gladstone Road on the junction with North Barrack Road.
The pub had been used by generations of Walmer lifeboatmen, and often survivors had been taken into the bars to be given refreshment and dry clothes, so the new "Lifeboat" name was seen as particularly apt.
61 The Strand, Walmer The early history of this pub is uncertain - but the 1861 census suggests the pub was operating around 1860. The building was refurbished and opened as a French restaurant, "" was considered to be among the oldest pubs in Walmer.
This later became a dance hall and, today, houses an auto spares retailers.
10-12 Dover Road, Walmer (originally Walmer Road) Several early records confirm the existence of this pub.
By 1921 the premises had reopened as the "Old Comrades Club," later becoming today's North Barrack Road, Walmer It is said that Noel Coward, when living at St.
Margaret's, was a "regular" at this former pub on the corner of North Barrack Road and Cheriton Place. It closed in 1911 and was demolished and rebuilt as the Kings Hall Cinema.
A Mr and Mrs Edward Minter are recorded as living at The Dolphin, Walmer in February 1917.
Presumably they were the landlords having previously been recorded in the 1911 census as Edward and Lucy Minter and licensed victuallers of "The Shakespeare", Ramsgate.
37 The Strand, Walmer Records show that in 1804 it was called the "King's Head" and changed name to the "Queen's Head" in 1837.