But with the upbuilding of Chillicothe its prospects were blasted. There were also two or three dram-shops, and the groceries kept whisky on hand. Clarno, in the advertisement of his eat house, said: "Crackers, cheese, cakes, bread, etc., always on hand. After 1880, however, the population increased slowly, until it is now about 5,000. Engelbert Gier was born November 7, 1852, and Henry's birth occurred March 28, 1855.
Joseph Railroad - Seminary - During the Civil War - Condition of Chillicothe Since the War - The Sisters' Academy - Churches - Lodges - Biographical. The progress of the town for two years thereafter was fairly rapid and substantial. The Confederate sympathizers, especially, found their lot an unpleasant one. Hale were men of high character, incapable of dishonorable conduct either, in peace or war, and it is largely due to them that the lives and property of the citizens were so well preserved. In 1855, he became a citizen of this county but in 1874 left here for Grundy county, where his home now is, he being 78 years of age.Chillicothe township is very irregular in form, comprising portions of three Congressional townships in two ranges, and in shape is something like the letter L. From 1,200 in January, 1859, the population increased to 1,800 or 2,000 by January, 1861. This institution continued until 1866, when in November of that year it was succeeded by the People's Savings Bank.1 1 The first officers of this bank were Col. Perhaps they were inclined to magnify their discomforts, but they certainly endured at times insult and something of injury. Immediately after the war a tide of prosperity set in. Additions to the city were laid out and rapidly settled. Lydia Moss was the maiden name of his wife, like himself a Kentuckian by birth and of Virginia lineage.Spickard says: - Halting and putting out pickets we soon discovered men off to our left in the bush, crossing back and forth over a dim road. On this day John Graves was appointed to "lay off into lots the county seat, where the commissioners appointed by the State Legislature shall locate it." It was also ordered that the county seat "shall be denominated and known by the name of Chilicothe." In the order the name was spelled with one l, but Mr. It was never intended to build the road through Chillicothe. The subject of this sketch remained in the country of his birth until 1851, then emigrating to the United States and landing at Philadelphia February 14, 1851, from which place he settled in Wilmington, Del.Going to this point we found where they had been feeding their horses. Pearl, the deputy county clerk who wrote the records, was not an expert at spelling. It was built from Laclede into Carroll county, via Sumner, or Cunningham, and now has its western terminus at Bogard. After living there up to 1856 he removed to the northeastern part, of the State, thence to Pennsylvania, and made his home in that vicinity until coming to Missouri in 1865. Gorman was married to Miss Margaret Kelley, daughter of Michael Kelley, who became settled in Pennsylvania, from Ireland, in 1856. Of her brothers and sisters Mary is the wife of John Clary, of Indiana; Julia is now Mrs. Gorman have eleven children: Anna, born November 7, 1860, married Pat.The founders of "Jimtown" contemplated that upon the organization of the county their town would be selected as the county seat. There were more buildings erected and improved in 1877 than in the six years preceding. Among other things they made the altar for the cathedrals of Kansas City, St.
It was centrally located, was a river town and had every convenience for shipping when steamboat navigation should begin. The old court house, which stood in the centre of the square, was torn down in 1865, and the brick used in building the structure known as Bell & Moore's Hall, on the east side of the square. Joseph, Denver, Atchison, Leavenworth, Effingham, Ill., and many other places, and besides much work has been done in church furniture.
I swung my men around to the left and came up to the river in a thick bunch of willows opposite where they were crossing. It seems that the Shawnees, or some of them, had a little town and a big town, and the latter was called Chillicoathee. For this information the writer is indebted to Col. Gilmore, of Chillicothe, O., who for a few years after the war resided at Springfield, Greene county, in this State. The last incorporation was by the Legislature, February 26, 1869, declaring the original charter and all subsequent amendatory acts thereto amended. December 22 the town voted to adopt a proposition from J. Mastin to put in waterworks, which are to be established by August next. Paul Railroad was indefinitely located through the town and county. Va., April 19, 1835, and in the vicinity of his birthplace he grew up, being reared to a mercantile experience.
There was a hole of water there fully ten feet deep. John Graves was appointed trustee for the county to lay off and sell the lots in the new town, which was ordered to be surveyed into 20 blocks before September 4, 1837; but on that day Graves resigned, and Nathan H. The first sale of lots came off October 16 and 17, 1837. The town was constituted a corporation by the name and style of "the City of Chillicothe." The municipal government is vested in a mayor, one councilman at large and one councilman from each ward in the city. Ellis; hotel, by John Graves; one newspaper, the North Grand River Chronicle, by James H. It is confidently expected that the town will be made a division station, with machine and repair shops, upon the completion of the latter road. Resident preachers of Chillicothe who have served the church a part of the time have been D. Wright, editor of the old Christian Pioneer, now the Christian Evangelist, of St. His father was Jacob Grace, of Virginia nativity, and his mother, whose name before her marriage was Barbara Wheeler, came originally from Maryland, though principally brought up in the Blue Grass State. Graham is now in his fifty-eighth year, his birth having occurred in White county, Ill., September 27, 1828. Graham, a native of Pennsylvania, who, after removing to Illinois, gave his attention to agricultural pursuits.
The first to cross got up the west bank very well, but the track soon got wet and slippery with the water that fell from the dripping horses, and the horses of those that followed would slip and slide back into the water. Thompson and Elmore Carlyle were among the first members. Gregory was appointed commissioner and trustee in his stead, giving a bond of ,000. Previous notice had been given by posting five written notices in different portions of the country and by advertisements inserted three times in the Missouri Republican, of St. The metes and bounds of the city were declared to be as follows: - All that district of country in Livingston county and State of Missouri contained in the following limits, to wit: Beginning 872 feet north of the southeast corner of the southeast one-fourth of the northeast one-fourth of section 36, township 58, range 24, in the range line dividing ranges 23 and 24; thence south along said range line to the southeast corner of the northeast quarter of section 1, township 57, range 24; thence west along the quarter section line to the southwest corner of the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 2, township 57, range 24; thence north to a point 872 feet north of the southwest corner of the southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 35, township 58, range 24; thence east to the place of beginning. It was merely a part of Chillicothe township, and did not differ materially from a thick settlement. Darlington; a carding machine, by Joseph Miller; two blacksmith shops, by Elijah Hill and Joel Bargdoll, besides two or three general stores. The Sisters' Academy in Chillicothe was first started as a day school in January, 1872, in the Redding House, on the east side of the public school. The habits of James were industrious and moral while he was a youth, and in 1856 he left in his old home to locate in Barbour county, W. In 1846 he settled in Grundy county, Mo.; and was a resident of that county until death called him to another home in November, 1883. James' mother, Rebecca Graham, was a Virginian by birth and she died in seven weeks after her husband, at the age of 81, leaving seven children: James, William, John M., Emily, George, Alfred, Oliver D.
I saw some men slip over their horses' heads and climb the bank and then take to their heels. My book shows that we captured among other articles seven head of horses (some belonging to Union men), three saddles, a pair of holster pistols and a government coat. Louis, and the Boone's Lick Democrat, of Franklin, Howard county. There was no municipal government, no authority to compel the care of streets, the building of sidewalks and street crossings, the enforcement of sanitary measures, etc.; and so there were but few, if any, sidewalks, save in front of some of the stores on the public square; people waded to and fro in the mud, threw filth and slops into the street, and lived a life of liberty, if not of comfort. John Graves, the landlord referred to, is called, and perhaps justly so, the founder of Chillicothe. Mother Mary Herman was the Superior, and her assistant were Sisters Mary John Baptist, Mary Margaret, Macy Wilhelmina, and others. Francis, of the province of the Sacred Heart, whose headquarters are in St. He was sent out by his superiors at the invitation of Bishop Hogan, to make a reconnaissance of the diocese of St. Va., and in 1858 he came to Missouri, settling at Scottsville, Sullivan county. When 17 years of age James Graham left the State of his birth and in 1845 came to Grundy county, Mo.
In the fall of 1861 a number of Confederate partisans from Jackson township, led by Lewis Best, John Blackburn and Jim Rider, gathered near Graham's mill for the purpose of attacking and capturing Chillicothe, then held by a small Federal detachment, which was posted in a house surrounded by a breastwork in the southern part of town. The City Hall is a large and substantial two-story brick building that cost the city ,000. Franklin, editor of the Christian Age and Review, of Cincinnati. Louis and nine months later came to Chillicothe, reaching here October 4, 1880. Henry Gier did not become a resident of the United States until 1879.